» Encyclopedic Dictionary
» Starving Artist Cafe
- Steamed Yukon Gold
- Baked Potato
- Stuffed Baked Potato
- Farls, the Irish Knish
- Smashed Baked Potatoes
- Oven-baked French Fries
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato
STEAMED YUKON GOLD POTATOES
By far one of the best potato dishes, served any time, is a mountain of Yukon Gold potatoes mashed with sweet butter and roasted garlic.
- Idaho and russet are considered ideal baking potatoes.
- Bake clean, lightly greased potates at 400 degress for 40 - 60 minutes. Puncture midway through cooking process to enhance mealiness.
- Slice them longways and place cut-side down on greased baking sheet. This halves the cooking time and creates a tasty cooked side.
To stuff 6 potatoes:
- Cut baked potatoes in half OR cut small elipse off top of potato.
- Scoop out pulp and mash with 3 T butter, 1 t salt, 1 cup cubed cheese in a saucpan on LOW heat.
- Scoop pulp back into potato skins and serve immediately.
FARLS,the Irish Knish
- Knead together:
- 1 cup mashed potato
- 1/3 c white flour
- 1 T melted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll into 9" circle (or press into shape on floured dinner dish).
- Cut into quarters.
- Fry in butter over medium heat, about 3 minutes each side.
- Eat while hot.
SMASHED BAKED POTATOES
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Put vegetable steamer on to boil.
- Scrub and clean Yukon Gold or Red potatoes, 6 oz per person.
- Steam potatoes 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Oil a cookie sheet and place potatoes on the cookie sheet.
- Smash each potato with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
OVEN-BAKED FRENCH FRIES
Fast and good. Brings out the flavor of a good potato. I use all kinds of potatoes for these; sweet, white and purple.
Pre-heat oven to 425 F.
Best if eaten immediately, but I have reheated them in a microwave the same day and enjoyed them; good potatoes make good eating!
- Rinse and scrub clean but leave the peel on.
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise into 1/4" wide fries or into wedges; 2 halves for very small potatoes, 4 or 6 wedges for larger ones, 3/4-inch to 1-inch wide.
- With the potatoes in a bowl, dribble oil oil over them and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Add salt, pepper,cumin, garlic, cayenne pepper if desired.
- Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer, evenly spaced so the potatoes aren't touching each other.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Turn fries / wedges over and cook for 10 minutes more.
SLOW COOKER SWEET POTATOES
- Wash sweet potatoes, but do not dry them.
- Cook in crock pot 4-6 hours, until you can pierce them with a fork,
Maura Enright, Proprietor
Author: Maura Enright
©2012 - 2016 by Maura Enright
Last updated Feb 2016.
© means the content is copyrighted.
Your links to this content are much appreciated.