» Encyclopedic Dictionary
» Starving Artist Cafe
Shortbread Cookie Recipes
Shortbread, Plain and Chocolate Covered
- Cream 2 c (4 sticks) butter and 1 c sugar together until light.
- Sift 4 c flour, 1 c cornstarch and 1 t salt together.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and knead lightly.
- Divide into two parts.
- Crumble each half into a greased, 9x6 (or equivalent) pan.
- Pat dough evenly into bottom of pan (dough will be about 1/2" thick.
- Sprinkle top lightly with sugar.
- Prick dough all over with fork to prevent bubbles during baking.
- Bake at 300 degrees for one-half hour, until pale and golden. DO NOT ALLOW TO BROWN: undercooking is better than overcooking!
- For chocolate covered shortbread, sprinkle each pan with 3/4 c chocolate chips. Let sit for 3-4 minutes so cookie heat will soften chips, then spread with damp knife. Sprinkle with 1/4 c chopped pistachio nuts.
- Allow to thoroughly cool. Keeps well in icebox.
Devon Cream for Shortbread
- Soften 8 oz. cream cheese;
- Beat with 1/4 c sugar and 1/3 c sour cream until smooth.
- To serve, mound on plate, surround with strawberries.
Before you start, decide what you will cut your cookies and your cookie holes with. I use a tuna fish can for the cookies, an old salt shaker top for the holes.
- Make a batch of shortbread cookie dough, omitting the cornstarch.
- Roll out 1/3" to 1/2" thick. Use flour OR confectioner's sugar to keep the dough from sticking.
- Cut into 3.5" - 4" circles.
- In the center of half of the circles, cut a 1" hole. These are your tops.
- Chill briefly.
- Bake at 275 degrees F for 9-10 minutes, until light golden in color. DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Cool upside down on tray lined with paper towel.
- Warm raspberry preserves on very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Spread a thin layer of heated preserves on cookie bottoms, add tops, then sprinkle cookie with confectioner's sugar thru a fine sieve.
- Spool warm preserves into the hole in the top.
Maura Enright, Proprietor
Author: Maura Enright
©2012 - 2014 by Maura Enright
© means the content is copyrighted.
Your links to this content are much appreciated.