» Encyclopedic Dictionary
» Starving Artist Cafe
Quite possibly the best Chex Mix recipe in the world.
Make your sauce, then combine with the "dry" ingredients (Chex, pretzels, cheese crackers and nuts) and cook in a slow oven until the sauce turns crispy.
For 3 batches of 18c (48 cups total):
- One largest box Rice chex;
- One largest box Corn chex;
- One large bag stick pretzels;
- Three boxes cheese crackers;
- One can peanuts.
- 3/4 lb best grade butter
Turn on oven and set to 250 F to preheat. If using a large cast-iron kettle, put it in there to preheat as well.
- Prepare the dry ingredients by combining them gently. I do this in a large plastic bag and then put the bag into my largest water-bath canner or a large box (to support the weight).
- Prepare the sauce for one 18 c batch:
- Place one stick (1/4 lb) butter in the pre-heated cooking pot and put the pot in the preheating oven to melt completely.
- Stir in the following seasonings into the liquid melted butter:
- 2 T Worchestershire sauce
- 1 T Tabasco sauce
- 1t seasoned salt
- optional: 1/2 t garlic powder
- optional: 1/2 t basil
- Optional: 1/2 t paprika
- Optional: 1/8 t pepper
- Add 18 c chex/pretzel mix to the sauce, stirring gently until all pieces are coated and seasoning is absorbed into the cereal.
- Cook at 250 degrees for one hour, stirring every 20 minutes to avoid having the seasoned butter pool on the bottom of the pan.
- Repeat for subsequent batches.
This mix will keep almost indefinately, especially if locked up! :)
[2016 note: the large boxes of Chex were not to be found locally this year: only the 12 oz. To keep it simple, I just swapped in the smaller boxes with no adjustments to the other dry ingredients. The result was spicy but good.]
- The selection and proportion of dry ingredients can vary. My dry ingredients are about two-fifths Chex cereal.
- I use Corn and Rice Chex. The Wheat chex, with their stronger taste and color, are often avoided by friends and family.
- Cheese crackers come in a variety of shapes, flavors and colors. Ditto, pretzels. Variety adds to eye appeal. When you make a lot at a time, you have the opportunity to choose several different kinds.
- The acid test for your choice of dry ingredients is: what is left in the bowl when everyone is done?
- The low cooking temperature (250 F) makes this recipe almost fool-proof. You have time to stir the sauce up from the bottom so it doesn't burn there, and you can even forget to take it out of the oven on time without overcooking.
- I have made Chex Mix in canning pots, disposable aluminum roaster pans, and even a slow cooker (with lid on). My current favorite is my very very large cast iron kettle.
- If you are cooking the chex mix in a heavy pan, you can turn off the oven after the the last stir (40 minutes cooking) and it will finish cooking with the residual heat. This means you can turn off the heat, go to bed, and wake up in the morning to perfect Chex Mix.
- Save the cereal boxes and interior waxed bag if you plan to mail the Chex mix, and you won't have to worry about finding or retrieving containers.
Maura Enright, Proprietor
Author: Maura Enright
Last update: Dec 2016
©2012 - 2016 by Maura Enright
© means the content is copyrighted.
Your links to this content are much appreciated.