Baba Yaga Music Home
» Encyclopedic Dictionary
» Costume Index
Make Vests for Belly Dancers
Use underlining and binding to keep shape from crumpling on stage.
- Choose a princess-line commercial pattern.
- Customize your fit and make your pattern:
- Make a test vest from scrap fabric.
- Fit it to you.
- Then take a marker and draw your desired neckline (over or under the bust), armhole and bottom hem.
- Draw a line along seams.
- Remove vest, cut revised seam allowances on test, then remove seams and press fabric flat.
- This is your pattern.
- Because this is a costume that will be danced in, not a fashion accessory, recommend you use drill or denim as an underlining.
- Stitch underlining to fashion fabric just inside the seam line. This will function as your staystitching.
- Sew sides together. Do not sew shoulders.
- Trim all edges EXCEPT the shoulders to the seam line.
- Bind all edges with 1.5" width fabric.
- Sew the shoulders together.
- Add fastenings: velcro, hood-and-eyes, buttons, laces.
Maura Enright, Proprietor
Author: Maura Enright
©2013 by Maura Enright
© means the content is copyrighted. Your links to this content are much appreciated.